Why do I need CardValet® if I already have mobile banking?
- CardValet is specifically designed to provide you with “real-time” alerts for debit card transactions. You are notified almost immediately of card transactions to help identify suspected fraud. CardValet is not intended to be a replacement for Online or Mobile Banking.
What type of transactions display in CardValet®?
- CardValet® only shows transactions performed with your registered debit card(s). It does not show teller, check or Bill Payment transactions.
What types of phones are supported by CardValet®?
- CardValet® works with Android and Apple iPhone devices using the most recent mobile operating software.
Does CardValet® work for ATM or credit cards?
- CardValet® currently only supports Mechanics Savings Bank debit cards.
How long does the app stay logged in if I do not log out?
- The app automatically logs the user off after 10 minutes of inactivity.
If my debit card is replaced, does the new card number need to be registered manually through the app?
- Yes. The new card number must be registered. The replacement card is added to the enrolled user’s profile via Menu>Manage Portfolio>Add Card.
Do I still need to notify my bank to report my debit card lost or stolen if I can turn the card off myself using CardValet®?
- Yes, you should still notify us as soon as possible so we can order you a new debit card with a new card number.
What information do I need to register my debit card in CardValet®?
- You will need your: • Debit Card Number • Address • ZIP code • Expiration Date • CVV/CVC Code Secondary authentication includes: • Security token sent in an email • Last 4 digits of the social security number Some users may be prompted to enter the amount of a PIN-based transaction performed in the past 72 hours.
What are the CardValet® password requirements?
- CardValet® passwords must be 8-12 characters in length and must contain at least 1 upper case letter, 1 lower case letter, 1 number, and 1 special character.
I have accounts at another Bank that offers CardValet®. Can I use one CardValet® app for multiple Banks?
Yes, the CardValet® app will accommodate multiple debit cards from different banks. However, each bank will require its own username and password to log in.
How many cards can I register within a single CardValet® application?
If my address is longer than 20 characters, what should be entered?
- CardValet® accepts an address of 50 characters. The address and ZIP code should match the address you have on record with Mechanics Savings Bank.
Can multiple cards be linked to one registered CardValet® account?
- Yes, you can register multiple cards within a single CardValet® app. Additional cards can be added by going to Menu>Manage Portfolio>Add Card.
If I register a card for my child, what stops my child from changing the controls placed on the card?
- Each person who registers a card will have access to controls for the card. In many cases, the child will not know about CardValet® unless the parent shares the information.
Can I re-enroll in CardValet® if I have previously unsubscribed?
- es. You will need to registers as a new user and select a new user name; if you enter your previous user name, an error displays. Upon successful registration, you may once again use CardValet®.
Controls and Alerts
What is the range of the My Location controls?
- The My Location controls and alerts will check to ensure the merchant location is within a 5-mile radius of your phone.
Do the My Location controls impact online transactions?
- The My Location controls affect card-present transactions only and do not affect online transactions.
If My Location is set but my primary device is turned off, will transactions be denied outside of the My Location area?
- CardValet® ignores location information that is more than 8 hours old. If your phone is off for more than 8 hours, the My Location controls will not take effect and transactions will not be denied on the basis of the old location information.
What happens if I set up My Location controls but leave my phone at home? Will transactions be denied outside the My Location area?
- CardValet® performs a proximity check at the granularity of ZIP code or city, so if the merchant is close to home then the transactions will still be approved.
Can I turn on My Location for a dependent’s card?
- To limit a dependent's card, you should enable the My Regions control. You can set up to 3 regions using the map to designate the area(s). The regions are effective for all users with the same card number.
A region has been set on the map. Does this mean the card can only be used exactly in this region?
- The region shows the approximate area where the card can be used; the area must be greater than 5 square miles. CardValet® can typically map the transaction down to a ZIP code or city. If the city or ZIP code of the merchant overlaps with the elected region in the map, then the transaction can still go through. There are instances where a merchant location cannot be mapped down to a ZIP code or city, in which case CardValet® will default to a state-level match.
Can CardValet® block all international transactions?
- Yes, by enabling the Block International location control. Any card-present transactions made from international locations will be blocked. The International Location control does not block online transactions.
Will location controls, merchant controls, threshold controls, or turning the card off impact previously authorized recurring transactions?
- CardValet® does NOT block previously authorized recurring transactions.
How do I turn off notifications at certain times, such as when I’m sleeping?
- Go to Menu>Settings>Do Not Disturb. Some notifications will still be delivered, such as any transaction denial or any transaction that is a card-present authorization.
How are CardValet® notifications delivered?
- CardValet® notifications are sent as push notifications to your phone. The notifications also display under Messages in the CardValet® app.
If I set multiple alerts and a transaction violates these alerts will I receive a separate message for each alert?
- The alerts are consolidated into one message. For example: if a transaction violates Threshold and Location settings, you will only see one alert.
What is included in Spent on card this month?
- Spent on card this month displays the total amount that is calculated from the cumulative spending on all managed cards in the month to date. At the end of every month, the system automatically resets the monthly spending amount to zero (0). Deposits and refunds are deducted from the total.
When is the low balance alert generated?
- CardValet® updates the balance under two conditions: • When you log in to CardValet® • When you tap Refresh Even if the balance has fallen below the threshold that has been set, your balance is only updated when you log in to the app or taps Refresh, at which point the alert will be triggered. We strongly recommend using the low balance alert feature within Online Banking for account balance alerts.
Does the app show recent transaction history?/a>
Why did I receive 2 CardValet® notifications when I bought gas? One for an odd amount and then a second notification for the actual amount of the gas I purchased?
- Gas stations send through a “preauthorization amount” on all debit card gas purchases to verify the validity of the card. The preauthorization amount can vary from $1.00 to $100.00 and is determined by the gas station. Only the actual amount of the gas purchase will be deducted from your account.
Will the balance be updated to include ATM, teller, check or Bill Payment transactions?
- The balance will be updated to reflect your available balance the next time you log in to CardValet®.
How do I remove an old or unused card number?
- The old card cannot be removed but you can unmanage the card via Manage Portfolio.
Can I unsubscribe from CardValet®?
- Yes. Click on Manage Portfolio from the menu. Uncheck all cards and accounts you wish to unsubscribe and tap OK.